Number 8 The Terrace was built in the 1850s. It is the mirror image of number 18 The Terrace. Both contain two sitting rooms, three bedrooms, two dressing rooms, a kitchen, a water closet and a shed. In 1876 a verandah was added to the building.
In 1858 it was first occupied by Richard Alderson, the Prison’s second Anglican Chaplain. Alderson married Hannah Dixon, the daughter of Superintendent Thomas Dixon, who lived at number 16. In 1860 the couple had a daughter, Annie Matilda Alderson, the first baby to be born in number 8.
The house functioned as the Chaplain’s residence until 1943, when the Australian Army requisitioned it. Number 8 also served as an Officers' Recreation facility and storage area. Following decommission in 1991, the Francis Burt Law Education Centre occupied the house. It is now occupied by Fremantle Prison staff.
(Currently houses: STE Group)