In complete contrast to the contemporary Georgian residences of The Terrace designed by Edmund Henderson, cottages 2, 4 and 6 The Terrace are Victorian in style. The residential and decorative style of the cottages is a stark difference to the harsh perimeter stone walls.
The conservation of cottages numbers 2, 4 and 6 The Terrace was completed by the Building Management Authority in December 1993. The adaptation of the cottages reflects the former residential use and they now provide short-term accommodation.
Number 2, built in 1857 as a Guard Room for the accommodation of 19 men, was converted to quarters in the 1890s. The semi detached cottages 4 and 6 were designed in a similar architectural style to the converted number 2 and were completed with prison labour in the late 1890s to accommodate the Matron’s and Assistant Matron’s quarters for the Women's Prison.
The simplicity of plan and ornamentation has been maintained within the design. Detailed research into the finishes and the subsequent revealing and reinstatement of the original stencils with the use of a complimentary colour scheme ensured the residential integrity is retained. Intervention has been limited to the introduction of modern bathrooms located in original positions.
The Building Management Authority’s design brief was to promote the simplicity of the original house designs while restoring the houses to their original splendour. The detailed design was developed within the parameters of the Conservation Policy and in close consultation with the Fremantle Prison Trust Committee, the Heritage Council of Western Australia, and the Fremantle City Council.
The Building Management Authority undertook the design, construction and management for the project and ensured the adaptation of the former houses retained the cultural heritage significance of the buildings within the context of Fremantle Prison.
(Currently houses: Fremantle Colonial Accommodation)
| No 2 The Terrace
|| No 4 and 6 The Terrace|