Number 18 was built in the 1850s and underwent extensive additions in the 1890s. In 1997 conservation and redevelopment works were completed. Facilities now include offices, meeting and seminar rooms, reception and an enclosed courtyard and verandahs.
In accordance with Georgian principles, the buildings and the precinct layout display formal symmetrical arrangements. The four main residences along the front of the Prison, built for the senior officers, are no exception. No 18 The Terrace, the most southerly of the residences, and number 8, the most northerly of these original buildings, are mirror images of each other. The two houses were built with two sitting rooms, three bedrooms, two dressing rooms, a kitchen, a water closet and a shed.
The verandahs were added in 1874 to provide some relief from high temperatures in the summer months. They were used as sleepouts from the 1930s through to the 1950s.
Number 18 was continually used as a residence until the 1970s, when it was taken over for administrative purposes. In the 1980s the building was converted for use as a prison officers' recreation facility when a number of unsympathetic changes were made.
To minimise rising damp damage, a number of works were undertaken. These included replacement of the concrete verandah with timber boards to a known former state and the removal of cement rich render from the lower half of the ground floor exterior walls. The under floor vents were reinstated and a lime render applied to protect the limestone walls, allowing the building to breath more easily. Glass panels in the floor of the old dining room allow visitors to view the basement.
The architectural services for this project were led by Christopher Paterson of Kevin Palassis Architects. Sizer Builders carried out the work. The project was managed by the Department of Contract and Management Services.
(Currently houses: Aspire Spa & Beauty; Skankihoo Designs)