The Terrace houses form an impressive public facade for the Fremantle Prison. The conservation work on House numbers 10 and 12 The Terrace, to provide bed and breakfast accommodation, was completed by the Building Management Authority in February 1993.
English Engineer Edmund Henderson’s design brief was to provide accommodation for the officers adjoining the prison. As the regulations governing the prison and the State Public Service altered over time, the officials who lived in the front row of houses also varied. Number 10, first built in 1853 for the Chaplain, was appropriated by the Superintendent in 1878 and later used for administration purposes. No 12, completed in 1854, was the former Gatekeeper’s House.
The Building Management Authority’s design brief was to promote the simplicity of the original house designs while restoring them to their original splendour. The detailed design was developed within the parameters of the Conservation Policy and in close consultation with the Fremantle Prison Trust Advisory Committee, Heritage Council of Western Australia and the Fremantle City Council.
The existing houses provided the design team with an opportunity to provide a clear interpretation of the original spaces with minimal changes to the original building. A new opening between the two houses was created to provide the link between the residential accommodation and the living areas. Detailed research formed the basis of material for interpretation and reinstatement of original paint colours and finishes.
Greening Australia vacated the premises in mid July 2010. After the completion of Internal maintenance the building is now occupied by Fremantle Prison’s Curatorial and Interpretation staff, who were previously located at No 8 The Terrace.
| No 10 The Terrace
|| No 12 The Terrace|