A recruitment drive for Visitor Services Staff (Tour Guides and Ticket Sellers) is held once a year on average. All positions available are advertised on www.jobs.wa.gov.au and in The West Australian Newspaper.
We currently have no vacant positions.
Visitor Services Staff Requirements
What do I need to be either a Fremantle Prison Tour Guide or Ticket Seller?
- A warm and friendly personality with a passion for customer service
- A positive and enthusiastic attitude and a passion for people
- A great team player
- Safety conscious
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good availability - minimum of four shifts per fortnight (including evenings for Torchlight Tours and weekends if required)
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate (or willingness to obtain before starting role if interested in leading Tunnels Tours)
- Comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions (Tour Guides)
- Comfortable working in a challenging tourism environment
- Previous experience in the tourism industry will be highly regarded
- Must pass a criminal screening prior to commencement of employment
- Full availability between 26 December to 10 January - staff are not permitted to take leave during this busy period.
Physical Demands of Tour Guiding
Tour Guiding can be a physically demanding job. Your body must be able to cope with repeated activity and movement. Tours vary in length from 1 hour 15 minutes for Prison Day tours, to 1 hour 30 minutes for Torchlight Tours and 2 hours and 30 minutes for Tunnels Tours.
Voice projection is an important part of the job - you will need to provide commentary and safety instructions throughout the tour in competition with wind, rain and other environmental factors.
If you are interested in taking Tunnels Tours, you will need to be physically fit and able as the tour involves climbing up and down ladders to access the kilometre of tunnels underground, squatting, stooping, bending and rowing a replica convict boat.
Essential Pre-Employment Requirements
Australian Permanent Residency is required for permanent appointment to the WA Public Sector. A 100 point identification check and a criminal records screening clearance will be conducted by the Department prior to recommendation for appointment.